The first day of school is just hours away and we have been busy with the last details of classroom set up, construction clean up, and the thoughtful planning needed to ensure our students have a safe and joyous launch to their year!
We also want to make sure you are informed about the details of the day and this letter aims to provide you with all the information you need. Even if you are a returning Brent Bear, please review these notes as some procedures have changed or are new this year.
August 20th is the first day for grades K-5 and we will welcome PS/PK on August 23rd and 24th (depending on last name). Our arrival procedures are:
- Springboard beforecare begins at 7:30am on the first day. Students must be registered to attend.
- Arrive early if it suits your family’s schedule. Free breakfast for all students is available at 8:00am. Brent adults will be in the multipurpose room to supervise, or parents can choose to sit with their children as they enjoy this morning meal. To access the multipurpose room, please enter through the main doors.
- Enter the playground area through the front gate on North Carolina Avenue or the back gate on D Street.
- Play, greet and socialize. Springboard staff members (increased to four counselors) provide supervision, but we rely on families to provide primary oversight for students not enrolled in Springboard. Please note that play will be restricted to the blacktop and yellowtop areas and that the front gardens will not be used for morning play. For safety reasons, ball play will stop at 8:20 but general play is welcome until the 8:35 bell and the corresponding arrival of faculty.
- Line up in your class parking spot (please see the map at the bottom of this note). Don’t forget to note your classroom number on class lists (posted on the main doors and at brentelementary.org). Our K and PS/PK classes will line up at the dots closest to the rubber playground surface, with Ms. Santora’s class and Ms. Miller’s class proceeding directly to the classroom doors. The blacktop will be completely repainted and relined next weekend; as part of that process, full parking spots will be created for applicable K and PS/PK classes.
- Say goodbye to students at their parking spots. We want to ease the transition to school and ensure that our students feel an early sense of ownership for their space. If you need to visit the main office, please loop around to the main doors so that we can make sure the playground entry doors stay clear for efficient student arrival. Brent adults will be there to direct you or to answer questions.
- Students will enter into the building at the 8:40 bell or signal.
- Morning activities start in the classroom at 8:45. Students who arrive in classrooms after that time will be marked as tardy, so please set your alarms. On the rare occasion when you do arrive late, perhaps after a doctor’s appointment, be sure to sign in to the tardy log and receive a late pass before proceeding to the classroom. Students will not be permitted to enter the class without a late pass.
We will be introducing the recess space to students much as we introduce classroom spaces – methodically and gradually. Students will enjoy the blacktop and yellowtop areas for the first two weeks of school, enjoying a guided discovery process of the space, expectations and possibilities for play. The front gardens will be introduced in the third week of school; we ask that you support this effort by playing only on the blacktop and yellowtop during this period, even before and after school and on weekends.
In most ways, dismissal is a reverse of the arrival process:
- Enter the playground area through the front gate on North Carolina Avenue after 3:05pm.
- Wait for classes to arrive in their parking spots or for first floor exterior doors to open at 3:15. Note: Even those first floor classes that use parking spots at arrival will use their exterior doors to dismiss as congestion is a bit lighter than during arrival.
- Take part in our safe dismissal process: Once teachers begin to dismiss students, they will make eye contact with caregivers and physical contact (high five, fist bump, etc.) with each student to say goodbye for the day. Please do not attempt to collect students as they travel to their parking spots because it inhibits this safe dismissal process.
- Know that Springboard aftercare students will be picked up by counselors in/near classrooms before proceeding to the cafeteria and library for a snack.
- Know that students who ride busses will be directed to their own parking space where they will gather and be counted while waiting for their bus to arrive.
Early Dismissal, Authorized Pick Up and Absences
On the rare occasion you need to pick up your child early, sign out in the main office for early dismissal. You will receive an early dismissal pass to show both the teacher and our security officer. If you anticipate early dismissal, or any absence, please email your classroom teacher and our Director or Operations Denise Diggs at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also email Ms. Diggs if you would like to add an adult to your authorized pick up list.
Though we play, arrive, and dismiss outside in light rain, heavy downpours or thunderstorms will move us indoors.
- For inclement weather arrival, please enter through the main doors. PK and K students can be accompanied to the library until 8:35. Families that arrive after 8:35 can bring students directly to their classrooms. 1st-5th students should be dropped off in the vestibule and will proceed to their posted class location in the multipurpose room.
- For inclement weather dismissal, families will wait in the vestibule and front hall until 3:12. At 3:10, PK and K families will move to classrooms to pick up students. At 3:18, 1st-5th grade families will proceed to the back multipurpose room door to pick up students from their posted locations. After pickup in the multipurpose room, families and students will exit through the front door.
- Please see the inclement weather arrival and dismissal maps below – and cross your fingers for sunny weather!
Families and visitors should always access the building through the main entrance. All families and visitors are asked to sign in, provide ID and wear a visitors badge for the duration of their visit. You are always welcome and these processes ensure that we are balancing a sense of community and student safety.
A general reminder that the first day is crowded with loving family members and that we are there to help. If we see any ways to refine our procedures, we will quickly take action to adjust them even while we understand that things will naturally calm over the course of the week. We will communicate any updates through TuesNews, with the first edition arriving in backpacks and email inboxes on August 21st.
We cannot wait for the start of an incredible year!
Click to review map of Playground Arrival and Dismissal Map